- Marvel at the world-famous Ancient Knossos Palace and the Minoan treasures in the Archaeological Museum of Heraklion (5 hrs)
- Visit the traditional fishing village of Mochlos and the Archaeological site of Gournia (4-5 hrs)
- Visit the picturesque village of Kritsa & the Byzantine Church of Panagia Kera (2-3 hrs)
- Combine sightseeing and luxury by visiting the archaeological site of Malia followed by a tour of the other two Helios Resorts (Kernos Beach & Kalimera Kriti) and enjoy an aperitif in the famous cave restaurant "Spilia" (3-4 hrs)
- Visit the traditional Cretan village of "Archanes" (5 hrs)
- Learn all about, Nikos Kazantzakis, the author of "Zorba the Greek" and "The Last Temptation of Christ" by visiting the museum dedicated to his life and work, at the village of Mirta (5 hrs)
- Visit the hotel's Museum of "Cretan Folklore Art"
The most famous island on Crete, especially after Victoria Hislop's bestselling novel "The Island". This rock stronghold and fortress is located on the north-west entrance of The Bay of Elounda. The fortress was built during Venetian times using building material from an original ancient fortress. It was founded in 1579 by the Venetian benefactor Luca Michiel, as shown by the inscription on the lintel over the main entrance. It was part of the organization of the defense of Crete, particularly against the expansion of the Turks and the incursions of pirates.
When the Venetians were defeated and surrendered the remainder of Crete to the Turks, Spinalonga alone remained outside of their control. From 1669 until 1715, it was a refuge for Venetians, Hainidons and escapees. Subsequently until 1903, it was inhabited almost exclusively by Muslims and when these last residents left, the place became a leper colony by order of the Greek government.
This operation was concluded in 1957, and from then on it has remained uninhabited at the mercy of time until recently, when restoration of its buildings has commenced. The public buildings, the houses and the surrounding wall which are being restored, revitalize the history of the island and celebrate the magnificent beauty of the fortress, the island itself and the entire landscape.
... With chauffeured luxury cars:
- Discover the bewitching landscape of Kourna Lake and neighboring area (8 hrs)
- Visit the surroundings of Elounda, the village of Karidi & the Monastery of Aretis (2-3 hrs)
- Enjoy the beauty of the Cretan mountains, by visiting the Lassithi Plateau and cave of Dikteon, located in the village of Psyhro (5 hrs)
- Explore the eastern part of Crete by visiting the Monastery of Toplou and the town of Sitia (8 hrs)
- Visit Zaros, the picturesque village located at the southern slope of the mountain IDI (Psiloritis) (7 hrs)
- Visit Cretaquarium. Come face to face with hundreds of species and thousands of living organisms. Be fascinated by their behavior as they reveal the wide variety of shapes, colors, habits and needs of their own world. (2 hrs)